The program combines two branches of lexical studies, namely Lexicology, and Lexicography. The studies examine different aspects of the Arabic lexicon using modern linguistic concepts and contemporary lexicography. These aspects include: its sources, building its corpora, its editing techniques, and its relationship with society. Thus, the lexicon is the main concern of the program whereas phonology, morphology, and semantics are employed for its support and service.
The program aspires to form a selective group of linguists and Lexicologists who are qualified to contribute to addressing Arabic language issues in a scientific manner based on the achievements of theoretical and applied Linguistics in the field of Lexicography. In this, it seeks to enhance the intellectual independence and critical sense of researchers, and to enable them to possess methodological research tools in order to meet the international scientific standards and to be able to employ their scientific knowledge and research expertise, and to meet the needs of the Arab region in Linguistics and Arabic Lexicography.
While designing the program, the following objectives were taken into consideration:
• Linking theoretical formation with practical applications, and investing the acquired knowledge, theoretically and practically, in solving real problems pertaining to Arabic language and its modern Lexicon.
• Linking the Lexicon to the issues of society to be a reflecting image of it on the one hand, and an active element in it on the other hand.
• Benefiting from what has been provided by computational Linguistics and the capabilities it has provided in building linguistic corpora and using them for the purposes of the Lexicography.
• Training of qualified academic researchers to pursue studies at the doctoral level, and to practice scientific research in accordance with its international principles and standards, in the fields of Linguistics, Lexicography, Terminology and related fields.
• Filling gaps in the field of Arabic Lexicology and Lexicography and contributing to the establishment of modern Arabic Lexicons and a historical Lexicon of the Arabic language.
Program Learning Outcomes:
1. Gain knowledge of the Arabic lexical heritage
2. Demonstrate a systematic understanding of the contemporary linguistic literature including their epistemological, theoretical, and methodological dimensions
3. Gain knowledge of lexical and terminological developments
4. Acquire in-depth knowledge of the levels of the linguistic lesson within advanced linguistic frameworks
5. Practice critical thinking in evaluating selected lexical work
6. Evaluate different analyses of some linguistic phenomena within advanced linguistic frameworks
7. Acquire lexical and terminological techniques
8. Learn linguistic analysis tools, at its various levels
9. Acquire oral and written communication techniques
10. Learn teamwork and fieldwork techniques