The program aspires to train a select group of qualified researchers in linguistics and lexicography, with the special aim of addressing issues of Arabic language and the study of theoretical and applied linguistics. With this training, the program hopes to fill the gaps observed in the field of Arabic lexicography.
The program encompasses all components of the study of modern linguistics: phonology, morphology, lexicon, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics, in addition to the main components of lexicography and terminology and their applications. An inter-disciplinary approach is built into the program's structure, making use of courses in practical linguistics such as sociolinguistics, functional linguistics, discourse analysis, philosophy of language, and computational linguistics. Students will have the opportunity to elect courses of their choice.
The program is taught, designed, and administered by professors who are not only prominent in their fields of study, but have also made clear contributions to the development of theoretical linguistics, in Arabic lexicography, and in utilizing general linguistic knowledge to address issues pertaining to the Arabic language.
Program Learning Outcomes:
1. Gain knowledge of the Arabic lexical heritage.
2. Demonstrate a systematic understanding of the contemporary linguistic literature, including their epistemological, theoretical, and methodological dimensions.
3. Gain knowledge of lexical and terminological developments.
4. Acquire in-depth knowledge of the levels of the linguistic lesson within advanced linguistic frameworks.
5. Practice critical thinking in evaluating selected lexical work.
6. Evaluate different analyses of some linguistic phenomena within advanced linguistic frameworks.
7. Acquire lexical and terminological techniques.
8. Learn linguistic analysis tools, including its various levels.
9. Acquire oral and written communication techniques.
10. Learn teamwork and fieldwork techniques.